Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Combined back boxes

On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html

Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic versions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?

I suspect TLC are playing safe there. The combined back boxes can't be
used with some fittings which are larger than the usual 86x86 mm - eg
some of the "flat plate screwless" ones. But I have used one with metal
ones which are the bog standard size.

Adam posted some time ago a method of dealing with ones which are too
big for a dual box.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/%22Dual$20Back$20Box%22/uk.d-i-y/FpZZ5dWIb9I/dejQQCfl0ksJ

--
Robin