Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default How do you test an ANALOG RF meter?

In article ,
says...
Cobra 29 cb. The meter never moves on receive, transmit, or ever. An
external SWR meter confirms its transmitting and I can hear my test
signal on receive. Sort of tells me the meter is blown. I have never
tested a meter. What kind of resistance should it have across the
terminals? Can I apply a 1.5v AA battery to it to see if it moves?

You can use the battery only once. It will probably slam the pointer
over to the end and ruin the meter. Most likely the meter will only
have a full scale of 1 miliamp or even less.

Try hooking a digital meter in the voltage or miliamp range across the
meter to see if it shows anything. YOu may be able to disconnect one
wire going to the meter and measuring it with the digital meter set to
ohms. Just tap the leads to see if the meter moves and it may move the
wrong way.