Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default alarm batteries

On 11/10/2019 15:34, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/10/2019 23:14, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/10/2019 14:11, dennis@home wrote:
On 09/10/2019 23:33, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/10/2019 21:42, dennis@home wrote:
On 09/10/2019 17:20, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/10/2019 13:50, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 09/10/2019 12:53, R D S wrote:
On 07/10/2019 05:30, Andy Burns wrote:

People seem to think this is normal/acceptable ...

Yep.

A housing estate was built around our small row of terraces
about 12
years ago.

For whatever reason (Faulty? Windows open? Pets left in?
Insensibly
placed sensors? Power outages?), I can't remember the last time
I went
more than a few hours without hearing an alarm wail.

Sometimes just for a couple of minutes, sometimes all day/night.

Makes me dread summer.

If one sounds for more than 20 minutes you can get the council to
silence it, and bill the owner for doing so.

How will they silence it? Long ladder and a can of squirty foam?
Personally I dont think councils would put workers lives at risk
(working
at height) just to deal with a self limiting nuisance. I could be
wrong
though.

It is a requirement for owners of properties with alarms to
register them with the police and nominate two keyholders. Most
people probably don't, but report the alarm to the police and
request that they contact the keyholders. If it turns out (most
likely) that they have not nominated any, reporting a noise
nuisance (not as a one off) to the council and pointing out the
lack of nominated keyholders may get them to at least contact the
owners and make threats of action.

SteveW

since when?

It was certainly that way, right back in the mid-90s - I got the
form needed back then. In fact, I've quite likely still got a copy
somewhere.

Apparently, it has changed a bit due to "THE CLEAN NEIGHBOURHOODS
AND ENVIRONMENT ACT 2005" which transferred such powers to the
council and it is now up to them whether an area is designated as a
zone where a (single) keyholder must be named.

SteveW

I think you will find there is no requirement to register a DIY alarm.
There isn't any need to register any alarm that doesn't communicate
with the outside world by e.g. phone.

Yes there is. It is about noise nuisance - as stated in the act that I
have noted above.

SteveW

There is no such requirement in England or Scotland or Wales, there may
be in some parts of Northern Ireland.

It was in place when I fitted the alarm in 1993, I still have a copy of
the form somewhere, but likely in the loft.

Since then the legislation has changed and I have twice quoted the title
of the legislation "THE CLEAN NEIGHBOURHOODS AND ENVIRONMENT ACT 2005,"
which actually reduced the requirement (from two keyholders to one and
only in areas designated by councils), but has been in force in both
England (since 2006) and Wales (since 2006/2007).

SteveW