Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fast, Inexpensive, Strong Drawers

On Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 12:13:45 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/10/2019 8:43 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Bob La Londe writes:
On 10/4/2019 1:24 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Well after much thought I figure I'll go with 3/4 plywood and pocket
screws with Titebond.

Personally, I'd use box joints for the drawer sides; much stronger.

Well, box joints are certainly stronger. I agree, but they fail in the
faster department. I have glued and screwed drawers with hundreds of
pounds of bolts, motors, etc in them now. They are several years old.
The slides will fail from overloading before the drawers do.

I'm not a wood worker by trade or hobby, I don't get excited by the
process, and I don't care about pretty. I doubt I'll even put false
fronts on them. Probably just hack a dip in the front so I have a place
to grab them.

I've got a couple of notched front drawers with exposed slides. Saw dust gets in
the drawers and on the slides. I assume metal dust would too.

1/4 ply fronts is all you'd need to seal them up a bit.