CR

Default How to get a nice vertical line when painting two walls different colors

FWIW - the local Home Depot has a demo of this on a permanent display.

1. Paint the lighter color, and extend it just over the division
line.
2. Run a strip of masking tape down the line, with the tape on the
lighter color. Wait til it's dry before taping, obviously.
3. Get a paintable white caulk, and run a very small bead right
against the tape on the unpainted part of the wall.
4, Using a finger, smooth the bead of caulk until it's basically
flat. make sure the caulking goes onto the masking tape, and covers
the line completely.
5. Paint the darker color, and overpaint slightly onto the masking
tape.
6. Pull the masking tape. In theory, the caulk will split cleanly at
the edge of the tape, so it will make a perfect line regardless of
bumps and texture on the wall.

I haven't tried this, but it seems logical. If you try it, let us
know how it works!

If it doesn't work, blame my local Home Depot!

AH#49 wrote:

Jeff Ishaq wrote:

Thanks for the tips, folks. I'll try both the putty knife and the
masking tape approaches, and let you know how it goes!

Please do!

After all I was just taking a wild stab at the problem, but it makes
perfectly good sense to me!

After all, with a "spackled wall" (Eww!) I think it would rather
difficult to make even the BEST tape lay flat and keep the paint from
seeping/bleeding under it, so as to leave a nice, CRISP edge!

But, if you WEDGE the Putty Knife into the corner enough (Not enough to
bust the you know what), and carefully apply the paint and PULL the
knife away and INTO the wet surface....Wooo Hooo!

It's "got to work" with some "experimentation"!

email to (remove the "notreal-")