Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Potterton Netaheat Electronic won't fire up?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 17:48:23 +0100, mm0fmf wrote:

snip

As an aside, the front of the case seems to get quite hot (you can't
quite hold your hand on it), and smells a bit hot. maybe because it's
not been on for a few months or because it was working quite hard
bringing everything up to temp?

Anyway, whilst checking stuff out I noticed that the motorised valve
wasn't returning (by spring) to the un-powered position, even when the
head was removed, but would if you gave the motor gear a nudge?

Considering how old it all must be, maybe a complete new MV head
(V4073A1039) might be in order to go with the replacement valve?

I've just replaced a Netaheat Electronic 16/22 and have a fully working
electronics board which I was just about to put on eBay.

What do they go for OOI?

From memory you would hear the fan start, then the clunk, the faintly
the clicking of the igniter spark, then the whooomph as the burners lit
and another clunk.

Sounds familiar. ;-)

Sometimes it could be a long time till it lit but
probably only 30secs or so. It just felt like forever.

Thanks and it does eh.

The case did get
hot when it had been on a long time but not too hot to touch but really
quite hot.

This one seems to get particularly hot on the lower half at the front,
but knowing where the burners are that probably makes sense.

Mine was 31yrs old when I replaced it last month. Replacement WB
Greenstar is almost silent in comparison (outside flue is noisier than
the old one). Difference in performance with a system boiler and
pressurised system is night and day. The Netaheat had 2 replacement
boards in the time I've been here, last one was in 2011.

I think I have repaired one for her (dryjoint) and then a couple of
years later, replaced it with a second hand one.

Also it
wouldn't light once and it turned out there was water/condensation in
the gas pipes.

Oh?

Only issues in 19years of use driving a hot water tank
and 14 rads in Sunnny Scotland.

I wonder if the WB will last 31 years?

And that of course is the question around the 'bigger picture'.

If the old boiler was not particularly efficient but cost little in
the way of replacement components and people driving miles in diesel
vans to repair it, I wonder how that might compare carbon footprint
wise with something supposedly 'greener' but possibly more complex and
so less reliable?

Thanks for the feedback. ;-)

Cheers, T i m