Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipes, Joists & Floorboards

On 10/10/2019 21:02, Andrew wrote:
On 09/10/2019 17:30, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/10/2019 17:02, Pancho wrote:
On 08/10/2019 21:19, Steve Walker wrote:
On 08/10/2019 09:41, Roger Hayter wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Classic plumbing error not considering how the floorboards are
going back
when notching the joists. Since this is upstairs I do not know why
you
have pipe insulation, I would remove it and see if you can bring
the pipes
together and fit some blocks in to narrow the notches so a single T&G
board will span the pipes thus you can fix either side of the
pipes. If
the pipe diameters will not allow that then consider what I
normally do
which is to lift two boards and run the pipes on the centre line
of each
board, it will probably mean you will have to re-install some of the
pipework and making good some of the excess notching.

Richard

I believe building regs require you to insulate pretty well all water
pipes nowadays, for economy reasons rather then frost protection.
This
does not adversely affect your second suggestion though.

Although I have insulated my pipes, I'd not be too worried about not
insulating central heating pipes upstairs - any heat lost will be
lost into the building.

Wrapping the pipes can prevent them rubbing against the joists and
hence creaking. I would strongly recommend doing it.

If it is purely for noise, then simply wrapping at the joist will do
that.

As I said, I have insulated my pipes, but only between the joists.
Where they pass through existing notches, there is just a very thin
layer of material to keep them from touching.

SteveW

If you only do the bit where a pipe goes through a notch, expansion and
contraction of a number of years might 'relocate' it.

The slip-over felt-style insulation is cheap enough, surely ?.

I've never had that problem. I am pretty sure that the covering holds a
lot tighter to the rough wood than it does to the the smooth metal, so
stays in place well. The existing notches are pretty tight, so anything
going over the pipes has to be very thin.

SteveW