Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Fast, Inexpensive, Strong Drawers

"Jim Wilkins" writes:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 10/10/2019 1:56 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Bob La Londe writes:

I would add that depending on details we aren't talking about 5-6
drawers or even a dozen or twenty. I am looking at around 90-100
drawers in that span. Making one box doesn't take all that long,
but
making a hundred of them sure does.

If all the boxes are uniform in size, it would seem feasible to
build a jig that lets one gang-cut the box-joints with a router;
stack a dozen or two 3/4" sides/fronts/backs (if square draws) on
edge, clamp, place a homemade router guide jig over the edges and
route away.

May be a wash timewise when compared with screwing and glueing.

I'll have to think about that. Its worth consideration. It has the
advantage of not worrying about the shifting force with pocket hole
screws.

Mounting the router in a router table would make fixturing easier.

I wouldn't want to try to move a 9" thick stack of 20"x8"[*] plywood
pieces on edge across a router table. Much easier to move the router in
this case and keep the material stationary.
[*] Assuming a 20" wide by 8" deep drawer.