Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Pipes, Joists & Floorboards

On 09/10/2019 17:30, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/10/2019 17:02, Pancho wrote:
On 08/10/2019 21:19, Steve Walker wrote:
On 08/10/2019 09:41, Roger Hayter wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Classic plumbing error not considering how the floorboards are
going back
when notching the joists. Since this is upstairs I do not know why you
have pipe insulation, I would remove it and see if you can bring
the pipes
together and fit some blocks in to narrow the notches so a single T&G
board will span the pipes thus you can fix either side of the
pipes. If
the pipe diameters will not allow that then consider what I
normally do
which is to lift two boards and run the pipes on the centre line of
each
board, it will probably mean you will have to re-install some of the
pipework and making good some of the excess notching.

Richard

I believe building regs require you to insulate pretty well all water
pipes nowadays, for economy reasons rather then frost protection.Â* This
does not adversely affect your second suggestion though.

Although I have insulated my pipes, I'd not be too worried about not
insulating central heating pipes upstairs - any heat lost will be
lost into the building.

Wrapping the pipes can prevent them rubbing against the joists and
hence creaking. I would strongly recommend doing it.

If it is purely for noise, then simply wrapping at the joist will do that.

As I said, I have insulated my pipes, but only between the joists. Where
they pass through existing notches, there is just a very thin layer of
material to keep them from touching.

SteveW

If you only do the bit where a pipe goes through a notch, expansion and
contraction of a number of years might 'relocate' it.

The slip-over felt-style insulation is cheap enough, surely ?.