Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default alarm batteries

On 09/10/2019 17:20, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/10/2019 13:50, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 09/10/2019 12:53, R D S wrote:
On 07/10/2019 05:30, Andy Burns wrote:

People seem to think this is normal/acceptable ...

Yep.

A housing estate was built around our small row of terraces about 12
years ago.

For whatever reason (Faulty? Windows open? Pets left in? Insensibly
placed sensors? Power outages?), I can't remember the last time I went
more than a few hours without hearing an alarm wail.

Sometimes just for a couple of minutes, sometimes all day/night.

Makes me dread summer.

If one sounds for more than 20 minutes you can get the council to
silence it, and bill the owner for doing so.

How will they silence it? Long ladder and a can of squirty foam?
Personally I dont think councils would put workers lives at risk
(working
at height) just to deal with a self limiting nuisance. I could be wrong
though.

It is a requirement for owners of properties with alarms to register
them with the police and nominate two keyholders. Most people probably
don't, but report the alarm to the police and request that they contact
the keyholders. If it turns out (most likely) that they have not
nominated any, reporting a noise nuisance (not as a one off) to the
council and pointing out the lack of nominated keyholders may get them
to at least contact the owners and make threats of action.

Some years ago my Brothers next door neighbours were on holiday and
their alarm went off and did not stop.

A phone call was made to the council and they said that they could come
and stop the alarm but the owner would get a bill.

In the end it was decided that I should disable the bell box to save the
neighbours (who were a family that everyone on the street got one with)
the money and let them fix it when they got back off holiday.

--
Adam