Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Pipes, Joists & Floorboards

On 08/10/2019 21:19, Steve Walker wrote:
On 08/10/2019 09:41, Roger Hayter wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Classic plumbing error not considering how the floorboards are going
back
when notching the joists. Since this is upstairs I do not know why you
have pipe insulation, I would remove it and see if you can bring the
pipes
together and fit some blocks in to narrow the notches so a single T&G
board will span the pipes thus you can fix either side of the pipes. If
the pipe diameters will not allow that then consider what I normally do
which is to lift two boards and run the pipes on the centre line of each
board, it will probably mean you will have to re-install some of the
pipework and making good some of the excess notching.

Richard

I believe building regs require you to insulate pretty well all water
pipes nowadays, for economy reasons rather then frost protection.Â* This
does not adversely affect your second suggestion though.

Although I have insulated my pipes, I'd not be too worried about not
insulating central heating pipes upstairs - any heat lost will be lost
into the building.

Wrapping the pipes can prevent them rubbing against the joists and hence
creaking. I would strongly recommend doing it.