Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
AlexK[_2_] AlexK[_2_] is offline

Default Anyine taken a garage to court?

On 08/10/2019 10:14, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 09:35:37 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Should I insist that they fix it?

This is one aspect of UK consumer law that is total and utter ********
(IMHO). The clowns have ****ed up once. Why on earth are you *required*
to have any faith in them thereafter ?

To be fair, I suspect they hadnt done a freelander before and unless you
KNOW that the front coupling is fragile and you have to tie up the prop
shaft before removing the centre bearings and VC then its an easy mistake
to make. The mechanic I spoke to was competent, he admitted he never
disconnected the front prop shaft which the service manual issues dire
warnings about if you dont. He just made a mistake, thats all. Of course
he insists 'it was like that before I started' It wasn't. Immediately I
drove it away I noticed the difference and drove straight back into the
garage.

IS this an aspect of consumer law though? That is what I need to know. The
easier way forward for me would, if it did not prejudice my position, be,
to get an after market prop-shaft for £100 and get another garage to fit
it and sue these guys for the cost.

The short story is that you are expected to let the original
garage that ****ed up fix the problem, particularly now
that he does realise how it is supposed to be done.

While the small claims court may decide to force the
the original garage to pay for the repair you get done
elsewhere, there is more risk that they will decide that
you should have given the original garage the chance
to fix what they stuffed up because that is cheaper for
them because there is no labour cost involved.