Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Anyine taken a garage to court?

What I'd do is write recorded delivery to the ceo if its a group or the
manager if its independent and repeat your claim, and put a time limit on
that, then tell them that you will then take independent advice on
rectifying the vehicle and get it done keeping all documents. If the vehicle
is laid up while you wait, tell them you will expect to be recompensed for
hiring a vehicle during the time.
If they wont take the very strong hint and fix it, then go through with
your plan and present them with the bill and then if they won't pay claim.
A word of warning though, If they are a fly by night outfit they may have
other cases pending and may choose to wind up the business and claim hey
have no assets for the court to have.

I had this with a double glazing company and they eventually or rather one
of the directors gave me half the cost which was the best I could do as I
got the distinct impression he was as much hoodwinked by the other directors
as his customers were.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
I took my car in to have two centre prop shaft bearings replaced and they
have damaged the front coupling to the transfer box - it now has play in
it.

I wrote a letter by recorded delivery explaining why I knew that this was
the case, and asking them to contact me to take the matter forward.
They have ignored it.

I am not sure how to proceed, Assuming that this ends up in the small
claims court I am conscious of the need to proceed with caution. Should I
insist that they fix it? I am concerned that I am using a car that may
damage itself further if driven with an out of balance prop shaft. Or
should I get it fixed elsewhere, and claim the money back? The cost of
doing that ranges from a new 'spider bearing' at £36 plus labour through
an after market prop shaft assembly at £100 plus labour to a full Land
Rover OEM part at £200+ plus labour at main dealer prices.

My question is really how the court would look on each approach. I.e.
should I fix it and claim and if so at what level? Or should I take them
to court before fixing it so they have the option of fixing it for free?
And to what level should the (pretty old) car be fixed?

TIA

its shoes.