Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Anyine taken a garage to court?

On 08/10/2019 11:53, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 11:17:14 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 08/10/2019 10:14, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 09:35:37 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Should I insist that they fix it?

This is one aspect of UK consumer law that is total and utter ********
(IMHO). The clowns have ****ed up once. Why on earth are you *required*
to have any faith in them thereafter ?

To be fair, I suspect they hadnt done a freelander before and unless
you KNOW that the front coupling is fragile and you have to tie up the
prop shaft before removing the centre bearings and VC then its an easy
mistake to make. The mechanic I spoke to was competent, he admitted he
never disconnected the front prop shaft which the service manual issues
dire warnings about if you dont. He just made a mistake, thats all. Of
course he insists 'it was like that before I started' It wasn't.
Immediately I drove it away I noticed the difference and drove straight
back into the garage.

At the risk of sounding snippy, would a competent mechanic have left you
in the position you now find yourself ?

IS this an aspect of consumer law though? That is what I need to know.
The easier way forward for me would, if it did not prejudice my
position, be, to get an after market prop-shaft for £100 and get another
garage to fit it and sue these guys for the cost.

Maybe a legal NG is a better place ?

crossposted to uk.legal

All I know is from years of reading Q&As, is that when you turn up in a
court, the very first thing the mags/judge will do is to ask if you have
exhausted *all other avenues* for redress. And if you haven't they can
strike cases out, and leave you to foot the bill. It's the classic #1
mistake a lot of morons make. Rushing to issue a summons before anything
else, which no court likes.

OK good advice.

So you need to show you have done everything you can before you turn up
in court. And that *usually* requires you allow the other party a chance
to make good the problem.

Which I have so far

Which is all very well in a fairytale where no one is crooked and setting
out to rip punters off. However in the real world, it fails to address
the situation where Bodgit, Son and Runne, are a midnight flit away from
their last customer at all times ....

Oh no. This is a well established and generally decent firm that's been
around a long time.

They made a mistake, it's not shoddy work per se. I just want them to
admit it and fix the problem.