Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Resistor value

Brian Gaff wrote

I cannot see the value, but maybe its a vdr

No its not.

that has dumped an over voltage and been destroyed.

It looks fine.

One reallly needs the circuit,

No you don’t if its open circuit.

otherwise all would be guesswork,

Not if its open circuit.

but its going to be quite a low ohmage since to

burn out anything bigger would need more volts,

It doesn’t appear to be burnt out from the picture.

assuming its not on the mains supply side.

On 07/10/2019 17:32, Tim+ wrote:
This is the resistor from my macbook power supply.

It *look* to me to be black, orange, white (or grey), silver, brown.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZDY1qe8L3xKc4JBG8

I thought it would be easy to calculate the value but I think it falls
into a special category (5 bands, fourth band silver) so I'm not
confident about deciding it.

What is it?

Tim

What are the colours? it not sane to have the first band as black=0

it *ought* to be 39 ohms 5% 100ppm/°k
But I would have expected that to be orange white black silver brownm.

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-an...tor-color-code

--
"A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
"We did this ourselves."

? Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching