Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 14:44:37 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I think Ralph has the answer. I already said if there is a regulator,
and my load tests seem to confirm there is, it must be inside the
generator head. Now that I actually see one, I know what to look for.
I am also not shocked that they set it for 115/230. That was the
convention for years. I still might be tempted to leave it alone since
everything but one fridge seems OK where it was. bumping up the
voltage will cause some things to use more power and I am right at the
tripping point now.
If the city is successful in moving us to municipal water I won't need
as much capacity tho because I will lose 1.5 HP worth of pump load.

I did not do a very good study of them , but it looks to me like you set
the speed of the generator for 60 hz ( probably under some load) and
then you adjust the voltage regulator to the desired voltage.

It may depend on how old your generator is. I don't think my 20 year
old one has the voltage regulator, but the one I bought a few months ago
does. The little 700 watt HF unit only has a motor speed adjustment
screw and it does not seem too reliable as to holding the voltage from
one start up to the next. I bought it mostly to power electric tools
away from the house and to light up a small shed that I don't think it
is worth while running power to. Now I have a larger generator with
wheels on it, I know I will not run power to that shed.

This one seems pretty stable with voltage and frequency over the load
range, zero to max so it has to have a voltage regulator.
My bet is it looks pretty much like your You Tube example.

I am different in my philosophy. I will run power anywhere I think I
might need it. There is no place in my yard that you are more than 50
feet from 120v and water. Most places it is more like 25 or less. The
shed and dock have power.
Most of this got put in with my pool since the yard was torn up
anyway. Between receptacles and lights, I ran almost a half mile of
THHN/THWN in pipe. The pipes I ran are stuffed tho so hooking up other
stuff is trivial at this point.