Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

Default Fast, Inexpensive, Strong Drawers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 10/4/2019 1:24 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
This might be metalworking or wood working. I'm seriously thinking
about removing the work benches from along the back wall in my shop
and replacing them with a single continuous monolithic steel plate
top work bench. Beveled, welded, and ground flat at each joint. Apx
54' long. Ok, that part is definitely metalworking.

Here is the part I am undecided about. I want drawers from the
bench top to about 3 inches above the floor from end to end. No.
not a 54' long drawer. LOL. Banks of drawers, to eliminate all my
roll away tool boxes and sort a lot of tools with their related
parts. ie: Snap rings with snap ring tools, etc...

Appearance is a non issue for me. Strength and speed of assembly
probably rank 1 & 2 for importance with cost coming in at number
three. Not all drawers would need to be super strong of course, but
I would like to make them all the same. Right now I am thinking
about wood drawers or folded/welded sheet metal drawers. I have a
decent finger brake and various metal cutting processes in my shop.
I also have all the wood working tools I could need for making wood
drawers. No matter which way I go I'd want to make them all the
same way.

I looked at roll away bottom cabinets as an option under the bench,
but they are either way to light duty, don't have drawer
configurations that I like, or way to expensive.

Many of the answers are certainly fast and cheap. Some may be fast,
cheap, and strong, but they won't be made hte same. Of the specs
fast, cheap, and strong cheap was 3rd in level of importance. Also
I indicated that I wanted them to all be made the same (look the
same). I guess appearance is slightly more important than I made
out to begin with. There are certainly a few ideas worthy of
consideration. Thanks everybody.

If I had a better answer I would have posted it, and maybe bought some
myself since my Sears-flavored tool cabinets need repair. The
second-hand tool store that rates cheap and customer-proof well above
pretty uses Vidmars for the heavy cutting tools and racks of sheet
metal bins for the lighter stuff.