Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wires are metal ...

On 10/7/2019 9:28 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:27:11 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/5/2019 6:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 07:58:47 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Â*Â* When I got my truck back from our son , lots of things that he just
couldn't be bothered to fix . One thing is the radio power supply . He
did tell me that the radio had "died" , turns out the fuse (in the fuse
block) keeps blowing . I've got the dashboard apart enough to check the
wiring harness and supply wires , can't find any cuts or anything that
looks like damaged insulation ... it works just fine sittin' in the
driveway , but within a few miles driving it blows the fuse . I figured
it was the radio/CD player unit so I got a new one , does the same thing
. I'm really puzzled by this , from the way the fuse was spattered it's
got to be a dead short to ground . I think it very unlikely that the new
radio/CD unit is bad - the old one did work when I replaced the fuse ,
for a few miles same as the new unit . This is an '86 GMC pickup , I'm
hoping someone here might be aware of a known problem area that I might
check ... I gotta have tunes !
Check for any extra connections between the battery and radio. It
could be a loose connection. You'll find your extra amperage going to
warm that connection.
Alt1: Run a separate fuse to a switched hot.
Alt2: earphones and your phone/MP3 player are a cheap and easy pair.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.Â* The only man who is a good American is

Â* Catch up Larry , we've tracked it down to the converter lockup
solenoid/wiring inside the trans . Got the new solenoid right here ,
just need a couple of days to get it installed ... figure it would be
good to go ahead with the axle gear swap and installing the correct
drive gears in the trans . That means I need about 3-5 days that I can
do without the truck since I'm getting into stuff I've never done before .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

That business of the trans lockup and radio being powered by the same fuse sounds an awful (and I do me awful) lot like my hundred year old house wiring. It's hard to label the panel when the house wiring has been wired somewhat like a bowl of spaghetti.

Â* I think it's more an auxiliary circuit , should have been marked
"aux/radio" or somethin' . Next up is the heater fan , I might have
pulled and left the fuse out while diagnosing . I hope . It was working
so it's probably something simple/stupid that I've done .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old