Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Pipes, Joists & Floorboards

On 06/10/2019 16:14, Gummo wrote:
Many years ago, I put down T&G floorboards in the bedroom. I've ripped
up the
carpet in the landing to continue T&G into the landing.

The problem is that, when I did the bedroom, I used a 190mm, plain board to
avoid a joint over the pipes. It seemed a good idea at the time but, over
time, traffic has created a crack in stages, length-wise along the 190mm
board.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this, firstly in the bedroom and then
before I attempt the landing?

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/jr

From the photo it looks like the wide board has cracked as a result of
being fixed at both edges. Wood will tend to expand and contract with
changes in humidity, and mostly across the grain. So the board got
drier, shrunk and split because its edges were fixed.

With wide T&G boards, you can often do hidden fixings by screwing at an
angle through the tongues. That fixing then also holds the groove side
of the adjacent board, but does not prevent it pulling away if necessary.

Moving forward you could use an engineered board - i.e. a 1/4" real wood
surface bonded onto a ply substrate. That won't exhibit the same movement.

--
Cheers,

John.