Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to open bathtub wall, with least amount of damage?

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 5 Oct 2019 17:48:27 -0500, dpb
wrote:

On 10/5/2019 3:49 PM, wrote:

Since he has a dry wall patch coming anyway it is certainly worth a
look. Maybe I am a little jaded since my wife was in construction and
she thinks drywall patches are trivial but she will take a hammer to a
wall or ceiling in a heartbeat.
It does push back the inspector a little tho ;-)

"You wanna see inside that wall, OK" Wham !

Drywall alone patches are...the ole plastic tile matching maybe "not so
much".

I don't want to retile the whole thing. That's a job I can't do myself.
That's why I was hoping, since only 4** tiles are involved, that I could
save them and reuse them. I know they are glued to the sheet rock or
whatever is behind them, but since there are only 4 or 2, I thought I
could soak and scrape them clean.

**Only 2 if I choose the right side on the first try.

It could be the stem I suppose. I repacked the stems when I replaced
the valves but maybe I did a bad job on one. I will check before
anything bigger.

It's not the drain. How I know: I was going to partially fill the tub
with a bucket, and then drain it, to be sure.

But carrying buckets would have been more effort than what I did. I ran
a hose from the bathroom sink to the tub and used that to partially fill
it, then went downstairs when the water was draining. Not a drop.
Also, I took a couple real baths, for the first time in months, and not
a drop.

I bought a connector at HD and the one they had was a quick disconnect.
I filled the tub and left the hot running a little bit as I always do,
so the water doesn't seem to get cold, but later turned it off at the
sprayer thing at the end of the hose in the tub. Everything was fine
for 10 minutes when the hose shot off the faucet with a big bang. Hose
landed on the floor but no water came out for some reason.

At the next bath I turned the water flow low before getting in the tub
but never turned it off. However, the quick disconnect didn't lose a
drop of water the first time, but after the explosiion, it sprays quite
a bit out of it. So I cover it with a washcloth so it doesn't spray
over the counter.