Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics,alt.electronics
% % is offline

Default Why do LEDs generate heat?

On 2019-10-05 12:48 p.m., Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 20:33:14 +0100, NY wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 19:46:08 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

bulb (60W equivalent) in a lamp here.

60W?* Are you a Klingon and love darkness?* I use 100W and 150W bulbs
only.* And lots of them.* My living room (7 metres by 4 metres)
contains
13 90W bulbs.

It also matters if the light source is in the right place, like from
behind is good if you're reading or watching TV.

I prefer the whole room to be evenly lit.

Some people think more light is always better. I remember working
behind
a TV (26-inch CRT console), where I could see OK. Then someone, trying
to be helpful, turned on a nearby wall lamp. The effect of that is that
the area behind the TV became completely BLACK.

More light is better if the whole room is lit evenly.* Which is why I
prefer strip lights to point sources.* Much better if you're
soldering for
example, you don't create shadows, as light can come to the workpiece
from
all angles, no matter where your body/head/hands/tools are.

Exactly. It is the use that you are making of the light which governs
whether you want a point source and directional lighting, or a diffuse
light.

I prefer to read with a light over my shoulder to light the pages of the
book, but with the rest of the room dark enough than I'm not
distracted by
everything else around the book. Likewise for watching TV - screen
brighter
than ambient light, even if the ambient light isn't reducing screen
contrast
by brightening the dark parts of it.

I always like everything lit in the room, or I doze off.

My wife prefers uniform lighting - even if that means you are looking
into
the light. When reading in bed, she will turn on the overhead light
(single
ceiling rose or lots of GU10 spotlights) which illuminate the rest of the
room and shine right in your face, but leave the pages of the book in
shadow, She believes that reading by over-the-shoulder light, with the
book
brighter than the background, strains your eyes.

That may be true, and why I feel sleepy if I do so.* But then some
people read to get to sleep.

i have sex to fall asleep and i don't care what the lights are doing