Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics,alt.electronics

Default Why do LEDs generate heat?

[snip]

I have a LED

That irritates me, why don't you write "an LED"?* How do you say "LED"?
I say "Ell Eee Dee", not "Light Emitting Diode".* So it needs an "an",
not an "a".

"an LED" irritates me. I know the word is "light".

bulb (60W equivalent) in a lamp here.

60W?* Are you a Klingon and love darkness?* I use 100W and 150W bulbs
only.* And lots of them.* My living room (7 metres by 4 metres) contains
13 90W bulbs.

It also matters if the light source is in the right place, like from
behind is good if you're reading or watching TV.

Some people think more light is always better. I remember working behind
a TV (26-inch CRT console), where I could see OK. Then someone, trying
to be helpful, turned on a nearby wall lamp. The effect of that is that
the area behind the TV became completely BLACK.

[snip]

--
81 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Tinnitus is a pain in the neck"