Richard Savage

Default Crabtree switches

Ian Clowes wrote:

Richard Savage wrote in message ...
Can anyone comment on the life expectancy of Crabtree grid switches?

Hi

No experience of Crabtree, but I was about to ask something similar re
MK equipment.

I've had a dimmer switch and pull cord switch fail in less than a year
each. MK replaced the electronic dimmer without question, but it was
still a pain.

I've bought a no-name replacement for the pull switch for £2 rather
than mess around getting the MK one replaced.

Is it worth buying allegedly decent kit? The mechanical action is
often nicer, but if it packs in after a few months its heaps of
hassle!

IanC

The action of the Crabtree switches and the actual 'feel' - no sharp corners etc - was much
nicer than the 'no name' alternatives but if my Contactum switch last the same length of time I
reckon that it will be at least twice as good as the Crabtree switch. This is because the
Contactum switch cost £10 whereas each Crabtree switch cost £10.

Richard