Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Makita Track Saw: Tail or no tail?

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 10:57:54 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
My first inclination is, except for a drill driver, to use corded tools because I like having good power all the time. But maybe for this tool I should re-think that. I'm going to use it for now to cut OSB for a flooring project and then later I expect to break down plywood sheets. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I have thoughts. On the Festool website they talk about track saws a lot. With Festool they rave about the power of the smaller blade Cordless saw. And complain about the little power of the corded small Festool track saw. So with Festool it seems the cordless small 6" track saw is the choice. The big Festool track saw is only corded so its not in consideration here. I have the corded Festool track saw and find it works just fine. I don't cut really thick stuff so don't know how well it does cutting 8/4 or 12/4 dense hardwood. But ripping 3/4" plywood or 4/4 hardwood, it does just fine.. For construction type work I think cordless would be beneficial. And in general not having a cord would be good. But for general cutting inside a workshop or garage or around the house/yard, I think corded is just fine. No need to go cordless, especially since I think cordless is more expensive.

Concerning the power comparison between Festool corded and cordless track saws, I do not know if this same thing applies for Makita, DeWalt, or anyone else making both corded and cordless track saws. Maybe only Festool makes the corded track saw weaker and the cordless stronger. Others may have more powerful corded saws. Who knows.