Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Fast, Inexpensive, Strong Drawers

On 04/10/2019 23:01, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
This might be metalworking or wood working. I'm seriously thinking
about removing the work benches from along the back wall in my shop
and replacing them with a single continuous monolithic steel plate
top work bench. Beveled, welded, and ground flat at each joint.
Apx 54' long. Ok, that part is definitely metalworking.

Here is the part I am undecided about. I want drawers from the
bench top to about 3 inches above the floor from end to end. No.
not a 54' long drawer. LOL. Banks of drawers, to eliminate all my
roll away tool boxes and sort a lot of tools with their related
parts. ie: Snap rings with snap ring tools, etc...

Appearance is a non issue for me. Strength and speed of assembly
probably rank 1 & 2 for importance with cost coming in at number
three. Not all drawers would need to be super strong of course, but
I would like to make them all the same. Right now I am thinking
about wood drawers or folded/welded sheet metal drawers. I have a
decent finger brake and various metal cutting processes in my shop.
I also have all the wood working tools I could need for making wood
drawers. No matter which way I go I'd want to make them all the
same way.

I looked at roll away bottom cabinets as an option under the bench,
but they are either way to light duty, don't have drawer
configurations that I like, or way to expensive.

I built a rolling storage rack for heavy stuff using surplus roller
slides for 19" relay racks, with angle iron uprights and shelves cut
from exterior-wall steel stud remnants. The slides are for electronic
equipment that could be quite heavy; my 1970's RF spectrum analyzer
weighs 60 lbs.

Might be like these which I used recently on a sliding table for cutting
glass
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Heav...-of-2/p/103525
.. They seem to be the same as those in the 19" rack unit I converted
into a drink cabinet, kept the slides, replaced the metal shelves with
laminated glass.

The shelves can be moved by drilling new holes in the uprights. If you
find surplus relay racks and cut them down you can use the pre-drilled
mounting holes.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Stanley-Vidma...05/bn_59489414