Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_6_] dennis@home[_6_] is offline

Default Dangers of wimmin drivers at petrol stations

On 03/10/2019 22:11, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 03/10/2019 14:57, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 03/10/2019 09:36, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , "dennis@home"

On 03/10/2019 08:17, Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

What if the nozzle is in the /middle/, cunningly concealed
behind the rear number plate, which hinges down for access?

Presumably safety provisions such as nCAP have put paid to that
sort of thing?Â* Or with more or less global car models, the laws
in the US are applied everywhere?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.65

Its not that laws are global, but if you manufacture for your
tightest market, its is unlikely to make sense doing it
differently for any other

Well that's TNP saying one of the main reasons claimed for brexit,
being able to have different standards for different markets, out
of the window.
Remain voters have said this from the beginning.

Rubbish. Whether to do that or not, once we are out, becomes a
commercial matter for the company involved, rather than purposelessly
being forced upon them.

But the effect is the same and you have claimed they won't do it and
will manufacture shoddy goods for other markets, are you now saying
remainers were right all along like TNP said?

No it isn't as while we are in, we are obliged, for domestic
consumption, to manufacture to EU standards, regardless of whether or
not we export the item in question to the EU, and regardless of whether
our people think that standard is excessive.

If we export the same item to the US (say), we manufacture to *US*
standards. That should be obvious and already happens. If we didn't,
then the US wouldn't accept the import.

That would be because we manufacture to the higher standard.
Then the USA and the EU accept the goods.
Its not really worth doing two different ones as TNP stated.
So yet again your argument about EU standards is worthless.

It won't be a question of whether the standard is higher or lower, but
of compatibility. The sort of thing I'm, talking about is e.g. the US
not accepting orange direction indicators or wanting stronger bumpers.
Remember those 5mph bumpers of the 70s? California only, but mandatory
none the less.

You can have orange indicators in the USA.
Bumpers aren't an issue its crush zones that matter as you will see if
you know anything about USA car construction.

What is stupid is that the USA allows the use of the brake lights as
indicators which some European manufacturers have adopted as its just a
software change and the saving of a 10p bulb. Some haven't as they go
for the safer option.