Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another John Another John is offline

Default Other electrical apprentices and my next door neighbour

In article ,
wrote:

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 17:26:41 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable
somewhat and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

Also known as a widowmaker - a lead with a plug on each end.

Ah - thanks (and also Andy).

Well I *thought* it must be that, but I hadn't made the connection(!!)
I'm getting dopier, as I get on: my brain had envisaged a "plug" as
being the type of 3-pin that goes into the mains socket, which would be
useless, so I had to ask.

I once actually did that, many years ago, when connecting two cables.
Fortunately I realised before I'd even wired up the socket end of the
joint that I'd done it the wrong way round. dumb *******. Last time I
looked, they still don't put a "Danger of Death!" warning on the
plug-end of such a union. (Funny really, in a society where, e.g.,
Starbucks warn you that your coffee cup might be hot!)

When my son got married, and started doing his own DIY, this was the one
thing that I really, forcibly, warned him about. For good measure I
bought him a mains-detecting screwdriver :-)

J.