Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why do LEDs generate heat?

On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 14:37:34 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 14:29:30 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do LEDs generate heat? I want a technical answer not "because they're inefficient".

That is the technical answer just lioke why does a wire get hot when curremnt passes through it.

No, the technical answer would explain what part of it has resistance and if it can be overcome by using different materials. And are you sure it's even resistance? It could be some photons are reabsorbed before they escape the LED, generating heat.

And will we ever make them more efficient?

Probably.