Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Hardwood floors: Is American Cherry too soft?

On 10/2/2019 11:44 AM, Utahred wrote:
replying to twice_redeemed, Utahred wrote:
I have brazillian cherry and they are the softest wood floors I have
ever had.
I hate them.Â* I drop a quarter on the floor and it leaves a dent (not
kidding).Â* They can't handleÂ* much abuse.

Need to determine what species it is they're calling Brazilian cherry.
The usual name for that is jatoba and its Janka hardness is 2690. For
comparison, red and white oak are 1220 and 1330, respectively.

American black cherry is quite soft in comparison at 950