Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car wiper blade arm hard to remove

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 22:46:33 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

The spindle may well be an alloy casting.

More likely to be steel though. The body of the arm is more likely to
be 'pot-metal'.

Sorry - I sort of thought it referred to the spindle body. The actual
spindle is steel on every one I've seen. The taper spline has to be harder
than the arm body it fits to. Fitting a new arm cuts a spline into it when
you tighten it.

I have never had any problem with copper-slip and alloys though. Indeed,
I have used it in a number of places where I had difficulty removing an
item, but have had no difficulty there after using it.

Same here (for lack of anything more appropriate at the time) but one
place I might be slightly selective where I might use something like
CoppaSlip is a wiper arm splines.

Specifically, if the arm has ever slipped before or the splines are
*very* fine then I might err on making sure it *doesn't* slip over
being able to get it off easily next time (which might be never).

Older cars used to have clip on arms. Usually a parallel spline with a
matching one in the arm. So you could only adjust by the width of the
spline.

Most of the modern ones I've seen use a taper spline. Which sort of cuts
into the arm. Allowing fine adjustment - at least when the arm is new.

I've played with wipers perhaps more than most. The old Rover had a Lucas
motor which was marginal, torque wise, even when new. So I've fitted a
Valeo motor which is a similar physical size, but a ceramic magnet so lots
more torque.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.