Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car wiper blade arm hard to remove

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Copper grease is a bad choice for aluminium though.

Really? It's the standard choice for wheels.

From Pistonheads.com :-

mikecassie

454 posts

105 months

[report]
[news]
Thursday 24th February 2011
quotequote all
I wouldn't use copper grease when in contact with aluminuim components.
I work in the offshore industry where a lot of aluminuim is used and we
use a different type of grease, apparently the copper accelerates the
corrosion of aluminuim when in contact with salt water. I'm not an
engineer or chemist, but have had it drilled into me for many years not
to do that, so I use the same principal when working on my car. No
copper grease near the Alloy wheels etc. I managed to source high temp
grease without copper to use on the pads etc when I had alloy calipers.
It seems to be as good as copper grease.

Think that chap shouldn't be allowed near a car.

Any grease used on brake pads shouldn't get near the calliper. It goes
between the piston and pad, and only the merest of smears. Neither of
which is ally. Just the calliper body.

If a grease is required for the calliper mechanism and may come into
contact with the body, you used the correct stuff for that job.

I've used copper grease between wheels and hubs for many a year. If it
caused any problems, would have been rather obvious.

BTW, pure aluminium won't last 5 minutes in salt water anyway.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.