Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim[_90_] Jim[_90_] is offline

Default Chimney cleaning for oil furnace?

replying to Bob, Jim wrote:
White Crud. When 4 inches of rain fell (and I had no chimney cap), white
crud seeped out at the very bottom of the chimney (in a basement, onto a
sealed floor). I scraped it up with a razor blade scraper. I thought it
might be from bones of a dead bird or squirrel. (I didn't buy the house new,
but did put a wire cage over the top of chimney to keep animals out. After
the 4" rain I put a small chimney cap on it (like a umbrella over the hole).
THANKS for your post about white crud.
Some soot was coming out of the "exhaust flue hole". Serviceman said to get
chimney swept. First time I ever heard about that. Found this site via
Search. 9/2019

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ace-79314-.htm