Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another John Another John is offline

Default Wheelie Bin Compactors anyone?

In article ,
charles wrote:

What appears to be un-recyclable cellophane is being increasingly made
from starch - and can be recycled.

But unless it‘s clearly marked as such, you can‘t really assume it. FWIW
I‘ve never seen anything labelled on food packaging as starch based
”cellophane•.

"made from potato starch" was on the last one received here. ...

Yep: National Trust annual kilo-through-the-post.

Heavily printed with the message, in the now-familiar ticking-off
school-marmish tone: "Do not put in your recycling. Put in your
compost." [1][2]

The substance caused me to finger it in a kind of wonder, perhaps as a
caveman might have handled a cashmere sweater: what _is_ this strange
substance? How was it made? How can it be "potato starch", when it feels
so much like tough polythene? [These are all rhetorical questions chaps:
I don't care to know.]

I also noticed that it seemed to be a patented product, made in Austria.
So what's the "carbon footprint" for that, then, Mr Clever-Clogs NT?

John

[1] I use "school-marmish" in the old fashioned sense: I'd be quite
surprised if any teacher has dared to be actually bossy, or even
authoritative, in the last decade or so.

[2] And secondly, having almost mastered the art and science of putting
the right things in the right bins over several years years, many people
will undoubtedly carefully place this wrapper into the rubbish bin,
thinking it to be polythene. Will the recycling police call round?! 8-O