Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default HVAC duty cycle?

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 1:47:14 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

You could certainly add some output to a room or two if it's feasible.
I'd first carefully measure the temps in various areas. If they are
all about the same, then making one area significantly better will
just make the other areas worse. You could check around, get some
recommendations for good HVAC guys and get a couple over for evaluation,
starting with seeing if the existing system is operating correctly.

The heating/cooling systems I have seen usually have
dampers/flaps/valves or whatever you call them in the ducts where you
can adjust the air folw to different rooms to help ballance the air
flow.

Yes, good point, you can reduce or close the flow through some to get
more air to areas that need it more. But you can only do that to some
reasonable percentage before it's affecting overall performance
negatively. Which gets back to what I said, I'd measure the temp in
various areas. If they are all about the same, shifting it around
isn't going to help, but if there is a diff between some areas, then
you could do the adjusting. My guess from what we've heard is that
it's either undersized, not running correctly, eg charge is wrong,
or the duct work is inadequate. No one has mentioned filters, that
should be checked to make sure they are clean and not some overly
restrictive one. I suggested he see if the air going into the unit
and coming out is ~18F difference. That's in the typical range.
He could sample the air at the return intakes and some of the vents.