Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default Thermal Faults

On 29/09/2019 9:15 pm, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 19:26:22 -0700, Jeff Urban wrote:

Other than that, just troubleshot. Got a print ? Maybe we can look at ?
I don't even know what the **** this thing is. It could be an ICBM or a
toaster fr as I know.

It's an old HP 8565A RF spectrum analyser built with good old fashioned
discrete components you can physically see.
The problem I'm having is access. I have identified the failed board: the
x-amplifier module. They've used plug-in boards which is great in one
way, except that they're so closely juxtaposed with other plug-in boards
it's impossible to carry out any traditional troubleshooting techniques
whilst under power. Believe me, I've tried. Tacking on fine wires to
various key connections and running them out for probing and whatnot but
I'd end up with a right old rat's nest of a mess if I carry on like that
much longer.
I've discovered a lot of old tower computers use the same pitch of plug
in board that HP used (3.96mm) so I've ordered a matching socket and will
make up a patch lead that will enable me to probe the board under power
out in the open where I can get at it. It's a PITA, but there's no
alternative I can see.

**It's highly likely that HP made available extension adapters to suit
their test equipment back in the day. You might be able to source one.
Somewhere.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au