Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default HVAC duty cycle?

On 09/29/2019 12:56 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 11:15:19 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/29/2019 05:21 AM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 1:25:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/28/2019 10:11 AM, Davej wrote:

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? [...]

Does it maintain the desired temperature on hot days? If it can't
it's undersized.

But what is a "reasonable" desired temperature? Is 20F less than
outdoors considered "reasonable?" So I should be able to maintain
75F indoors at 100% duty cycle if the outdoor temp is 95F?

Reasonable is whatever is acceptable to you. You can turn your house
into a refrigerator if you want to go to the expense. Personally, I
don't have AC so if it's 95 outside it's close to 95 inside.

That sounds like our bedroom. We have a 3/4 ton mini split in around
250 sq/ft that is in addition to the central air. My wife wants it 68
at night. It makes the stat.

I just have to wait a while for nature to take its course. We had three
96 degree days last August. For two of them the overnight temperature
was 53. The other one only made it down to 61. If I turn the window fan
on when I go to bed I usually turn it off sometime during the night.