Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Larz Larz is offline

Default please refresh my memory: what a PFC capacitor does and a reallife example of what it means??

Ok, so I picked up a Kuman Electricity Usage Monitor. For anyone not
familiar, it shows KW used, current V and I, some other things like a
cost calculation, etc. I plugged the 175 W mercury lamp into it and
here are the figures I got after letting the system run for 8 hours, 35 min:

1.77 Kwh
209.8 W
0.19 cost
2.018 A
0.84 pfc

So, inputting my Kwh rate beforehand, it's showing ~19 cents per 8 hour
period.

I have no idea if these figures are correct and probably won't until the
electric bill arrives and/or I ever came across a scope. The device had
good ratings and most folks seemed satisfied, which was the main reason
I purchased it.