Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fox's Mercantile Fox's Mercantile is offline

Default Thermal Faults

On 2019-09-27 12:42, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

"Carbon comp is used on occasion for its pulse power tolerance."

Which is the worst possible way of using a carbon composition
type of resistor.

Why is that? This is IMHO not about the carbon film type but about
modern massive carbon composition. I've used them for 40 years in e.g.
triac snubber networks and they never failed. All kinds of (same wattage
rating) film types did fail. Wirewound is also OK but too expensive.

Arie

Obviously, you're using the film types incorrectly and not specifying
specifying the correct rating for the application.

Oh boy. Carbon comp is so much better at pulse work that a comp R with a given pulse rating is cheaper than a larger film type with the same pulse rating. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE USED.

NT

Oh, that's right. I forgot you're never wrong.

Even when you are.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0