Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Thermal Faults

On Friday, 27 September 2019 11:43:04 UTC+1, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 9/27/19 4:08 AM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 9/26/19 4:44 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 wrote:
The fact that carbon resistors have a pretty wretched
service life and heat tolerance.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

you're clearly misinformed

30 years of servicing vintage radios tells me you're the one
misinformed.

Vintage is the key word there. Ancient carbon composition
are indeed prone to rising in value & going oc. However carbon film Rs have an excellent reliability record. I've
repaired lots of stuff over however many years, and carbon
film Rs are almost never a problem.

I've no doubt your ego will not permit you to get real, so
I see little point continuing this. Others who read this
will make up their own minds.

NT

Do you even pay attention to what you write?

"Carbon comp is used on occasion for its pulse power tolerance."

Which is the worst possible way of using a carbon composition
type of resistor.

Peter told you that. I told you that.

it's the worst way to use any resistor, but that is immaterial. When an EE needs a resistor with large pulse tolerance, carbon comp is the best candidate for the job, and by a long way. There's no other reason to use them nowadays, no other way in which they're better, and they certainly aren't cheaper.

Are you really claiming to not know this stuff?

NT