Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default How do you say you don't want a smart meter, just an ordinary one?

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 14:35:34 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 14:37:24 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 14:17:13 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

On 27/09/2019 13:51, Chris Green wrote:
My supplier says my (electricity only) meter's certification has
expired so I need a new meter. All the forms and ways of telling
them when to come say 'book your smart meter installation'. Should
there also be a way of getting a non-smart meter? ... or should I
just tell them there's no mobile phone coverage where we live?

You would perhaps need to phone them and tell them verbally that you
don't want a smart meter. They can't compell you to have one.

I believe it depends on the tariff you signed up to ?

Well I'm not changing tariff and haven't had a smart meter so far.

Fair enough.

Personally, if there's no way of telling them in advance, I'd book the
engineer, wait for them to turn up, and when they tell you they're
fitting a smart meter, turn them away, and wait for a call from the
mothership complaining. If enough people did that, you can bet they'd
pretty quickly add a box.

If I were the engineer, I would disconnect the old meter first then if
the customer started to get awkward leave them with no electricity :-)

Personally I'm not going to have a smart meter because not only are their
no benefits to me, I get lied to when I point it out. There are however
enormous benefits for the suppliers.

I have refused, for different reasons.