Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electricity bill doubled

On 9/26/2019 9:06 PM, Oumati Asami wrote:
My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to
40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't
turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has
doubled.

I can think of two things: 1. meter malfunctioning or 2. appliance
malfunctioning. Before I tackle the meter malfunctioning, I'd like to
know if appliance is at fault. I don't see any appliance running
non-stop. Could appliance somehow increase its electricity usage? How?

I have an electric water heater, one full-size and two half-size
fridges, electric cook top, ceiling fans, a swimming pool pump, a small
oven, plus lights. That's all.

I have GFCI. So, current leaking into ground is not a problem.

Refrigerator may be stuck on defrost cycle

I'd think the water heater would be running hotter than usual if an
element was not turning off.

Pool pump may be on more than usual if it is on a timer that went bad.

You may want to buy a Kill A Watt meter to check the use of individual
appliances. About $20 from Amazon.