PJ

Default Hardwood Floors

"Tim" wrote in message
om...
I need some opinions. I currently have about 1700+ square feet of
carpet to replace with Hardwood floors. There are several options I
am considering.

My goal is something: 1) Cost effective 2) Low Maintenaance 3) Looks
half way decent.

Option 1) Get a professional to install prefinished hardwood floors
priced from $8.50-$10.00 a square feet. Final cost $17-20K

2) Get a professional to install unfinished floors that will need
sanding, staining, etc (the old fashioned way) End up costing about
the same $17-20K

3) Get the materials myself and have a contractor do it the old
fashioned way. $12-15K

4) Get the prefinished materials myself and have contractor install it
$9-10K

5) Do it all my self Materials 6K

Lastly, Does any one have experience with working with imported wood
from China? It cost about 30-40% less than domestic but how is the
quality and any potential issues/ concerns? Any help would be
appreciated.

Tim

My own experience with hardwood floors is that if you have any children or
especially any pets with claws, then I wouldn't consider hardwood floors
very ideal. That might violate your goals of "low maintenance" (because you
may have to refinish them with some frequency) and "looks half way decent"
(scratches and dents WILL occur). If you only have mature people in the
house that walk around barefoot or in socks, then you'll be fine for a long
time with hardwood floors.

PJ