Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC live delay ?

In article ,
ss wrote:
We were both watching PM question time tonight (wed)
Me on my desktop and she on laptop.
Desktop has cable connection, laptop wifi.
The desktop was running about half minute behind the laptop.

All other settings the same?

How come, I would have thought both would be running at the same time.

Is this normal?

Where I live we struggle to get a single channel of video streaming
without "buffering" warnings. I am surprised that wired was beaten by
wifi though (unless you have a really bad cable). Normally it is the
other way around with wifi being slower due to retransmits.

Nothing digital is ever 'live'. You could argue that analogue ain't either
since the best it can manage is approaching the speed of light.

And the higher the resolution the longer the time difference.

If you switch between SD and HD on the same nominal channel you will
often get the same second of output played again in HD.

And your own computer will introduce even more delay in the chain.

ISTR the internet radio streams run ~30s behind realtime as well.

I also recall that even officially "live" outside broadcasts are about
10s behind true realtime so that if an atrocity occurs on camera the
editors can pull the plug before it is ever broadcast to air.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown