Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House survey and electrics and gas

On 25/09/19 23:35, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/09/2019 17:08, Andrew wrote:

Attempting to heat a conservatory is futile. You could
spend more money heating that one room than the rest
of the house.

Not necessarily. You may only need it heated for short periods of time.
Things like IR radiant heating (i.e. heat the people, not the building)
can make such spaces comfortable when required.

Well, we had underfloor heating (electric film - 1.8kW) installed in our
conservatory. Big, expensive mistake. If any form of heating is
unsuitable for a conservatory, it is underfloor heating. As it happens,
we use our conservatory mainly for growing plants (we do sit in it in
spring and autumn, and cooler days in summer. At other times it confirms
the definition that "a conservatory is a room which is too cold in
winter and too hot in summer"!).

The underfloor heating is set to come on at 10°C in winter. Other
"heating" is supplied by a 400W dehumidifier, as we find that
condensation from the plants is a real issue. The dehumidifier has a
major effect on discouraging black mould. If really cold weather is
expected (below -5°C), then a 1kW thermostatically controlled fan heater
is used to keep the temperature above 8°C, as the underfloor heating
cannot cope, especially if it is windy.

--

Jeff