Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default BBC live delay ?

Actually, if both were using the same stream then they do agree. I have two
echo devices here. If I set them on the same channel their can be a huge
delay, but if I say to one play whatever, everywhere, then all my echo
devices use the same stream and they are all working together and there is
no delay, so the delay is when the actual server end sends it out, nothing
to do with your local set up at all. The possible way around it is to use a
media server at your end and then chuck it out to as many other devices as
you like, I'm guessing that this is what Echo does, one device acts as the
receiver and merely echoes it to all the others through the local wifi.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
ss wrote:

We were both watching PM question time tonight (wed)
Me on my desktop and she on laptop.
Desktop has cable connection, laptop wifi.
The desktop was running about half minute behind the laptop.

How come, I would have thought both would be running at the same time.

Is this normal?

No. Are you sure you were both watching it on the same site? If so, the
only likely place for such a delay would be the browser rendering the
stream, and that doesn't sound very likely.

Now to take this a stage further(which I wont) could I argue I dont need
a licence to watch it on my desktop as it is not accurately live but
running about half minute later?

Given the delay in digital channels, no. Anyway it is when it is being
transmitted that counts, not when it is being watched. But I think the
definition of 'live' includes a *nearly" or similar caveat.

--

Roger Hayter