Set Square

Default Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection)

Andrew Welham wrote:

Are you sure that the brick wall on the remote side of your side

entrance is
450mm (18") thick? What is on the other side? You may be

responsible
for it,

sorry my mistake 45mm i.e. 1 brick wide

I'm still confused! What sort of brick is 45mm wide? Do you mean 4.5"
(~115mm)?

I have no plans to put a car in the garage. You’re quite right it’s
too narrow. I intend to use it for more of a store room basically
used for every thing a garage is used for except storing a car.

Have you considered the effect on the resale value of the house of having a
garage which isn't a garage?

It’s a combined drain. I was intending to put the sealable covers on,
and have a removable panel in the new floor so in the emergency when I
need to access the drains, I can simple remove the floorboards and
access the drains after removing the sealed cover.

I wouldn't fancy that inside *my* house! Is there any possibilty of
re-routing the drain away from the extended property? [Also see Hugo's
comments on necessary clearances].
There was a long thread about sealed inspection chambers inside houses a
month or two ago - it might make interesting reading!

That part I have not looked in to as yet, but i think from a brief
look your right. Just looking for further confirmation , as the regs
dont seems to be exact on the issuse.

I think that the regs are written in terms of the overall U values to be
achieved, rather than telling you what materials to use. But in practice
there are only certain combinations of materials/construction methods which
will meet the regs. I'm sure that your local BCO will provide some helpful
advice if asked.

--
Cheers,
Set Square