Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default please refresh my memory: what a PFC capacitor does and a real life example of what it means??

In article ,
says...

But that has NOTHING to do with transformer inductance ( a myth) or phase angle and cannot be fixed with a capacitor across the supply.

It has everything to do with the current wave be made up of pulses ( at double the supply frequency ) and so not being a sine wave.

The "true rms" value of a pulsed current is higher than a comparable steady sine current.

Ok I can see that , The meters are not really showing what is going on.
I do understand the part about a 'true rms' not being the same as what
most simple meters show when calibrated for a sine wave and not all
kinds of non sine waves.

Just faulty thinking about the inductance of a transformer.