Posted to uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default Supreme Court

In message , The Todal
writes
On 2019-09-24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 24/09/2019 14:02, dennis@home wrote:
8

I suppose Leave supporters do have difficulty with literacy.

If you missed Lady Hale's speech this morning here it is.

I heard her speech.

The reconvening of parliament is in Bercow's hands
The introduction of legislation is in Bercow's hands, and parliaments.
The government has no majority.
But Parliament will not hold an election.
The full horror of Blairs attack on democracy and its institutions is
now apparent

Its democracy Jim, but not as brexiteers want.

TNP was saying parliamentary democracy was the reason he voted leave so
now what does he want to vote for?

There is a huge difference between wanting to repatriate control to the
UK and MPs ignoring the result of a domestic referendum. Returning
sovereignty to parliament was never intended to overrule a democratic
vote by the people.

Dishonest Romoaners have seized upon such an idea by saying that
this is what
we actually voted for. Of course, if you look at a number of campaign items,
it should be rather clear that it was about Britain being sovereign, not
Parliament per se, which also includes our courts, an end to freedom of
movement etc.

In the minds of many Leave supporters, it's about ordinary citizens
being sovereign, not Parliament. Would you agree? To them, the debates
in Parliament are incomprehensible, a sort of white noise, a meeting of
posh folk who don't represent us. We want the man in the street, and
all his neighbours, to be the real decision makers now!

Being told which weights and measures we can use, enforced by
law, has long been a sticking point and one example of how EU legislation
affects people directly.

Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary.

I think the rot set in with decimalisation. When children were able to
subtract one pound seven and sixpence from four pounds one and three,
they were given the mental skills to enable them to invent bouncing
bombs and jet engines. Since decimalisation, education has been dumbed
down. Ask a child what ten percent of fifty quid is, and they won't
have a clue.

And Australia was once run by posh English folk, as seen in this video.

Be prepared, folks, when the coins begin to mix
On the fourteenth of February, 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyNLwqljzI

This film shows how much easier it would have been for the UK to adopt
10/- as the New Pound.
--
Ian