Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Supreme Court

On 2019-09-24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 24/09/2019 14:02, dennis@home wrote:
8

I suppose Leave supporters do have difficulty with literacy.

If you missed Lady Hale's speech this morning here it is.

I heard her speech.

The reconvening of parliament is in Bercow's hands
The introduction of legislation is in Bercow's hands, and parliaments.
The government has no majority.
But Parliament will not hold an election.
The full horror of Blairs attack on democracy and its institutions is
now apparent

Its democracy Jim, but not as brexiteers want.

TNP was saying parliamentary democracy was the reason he voted leave so
now what does he want to vote for?

There is a huge difference between wanting to repatriate control to the
UK and MPs ignoring the result of a domestic referendum. Returning
sovereignty to parliament was never intended to overrule a democratic
vote by the people.

Dishonest Romoaners have seized upon such an idea by saying that this is what
we actually voted for. Of course, if you look at a number of campaign items,
it should be rather clear that it was about Britain being sovereign, not
Parliament per se, which also includes our courts, an end to freedom of
movement etc.

In the minds of many Leave supporters, it's about ordinary citizens
being sovereign, not Parliament. Would you agree? To them, the debates
in Parliament are incomprehensible, a sort of white noise, a meeting of
posh folk who don't represent us. We want the man in the street, and all
his neighbours, to be the real decision makers now!

The numbers speak for themselves:

Leave 17.4m | Remain 16.1m
By Constituency:
Leave 406 | Remain 242
By Constituency Party:
Labour - Leave 148 | Remain 84
Conservatives - Leave 247 | Remain 80
By Region:
Leave 9 | Remain 3
By MP:
Leave 160 | Remain 486

The Remainers are trying to usurp the democratic decision.