Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Supreme Court

On 24/09/2019 22:01, Norman Wells wrote:
On 24/09/2019 21:20, James Hammerton wrote:

The government could try to force a general election by calling a VoNC
in itself, but that risks a new government being formed by the
opposition with no guarantee of an election any time soon.

The carrying of a vote of no confidence with no reversal withing 14 days
is a general election, which the country desperately needs.

There is only the risk of a new government if another party is elected
with a larger majority.

If anyone can gather the support of enough MPs in the 14 days, they get
to form a new government without an election. A VoNC now could lead to a
coalition of remainers forming the government.

How long a coalition of disgruntled Tories, a rather fractious Labour
party, the Lib Dems and the nationalists can keep going might be
questioned though.

Whilst I could see such a government lasting long enough to secure the
A50 extension they want, ISTM is unlikely to hang together for very
long after that.

Doing that however might be all they need to do to draw out Brexit for
a very long time. If the EU were to e.g. propose a 2 year extension,
ISTM that would probably be supported by a majority in the present
Parliament.

If we have a general election all that can change.

Why do you think Corbyn is running so scared of one?

We know, but for the rest, the argument used was that if Boris was
allowed an election, he could unilaterally change the date, thus forcing
a no deal Brexit. I can understand this risk, but if that was the
genuine reason for not granting one, then the MPs, instead of voting in
a new law preventing a no deal Brexit, could have simply voted in a
fixed election date. That they did not do so shows that they are not
interested in what the public wants, but just want to block a no deal
(and if possible block leaving at all).

SteveW